Sunday, March 11, 2012

Horses and the house to ourselves, what could be better?

So I realize I did not improve on blogging more often, but I'm doing it now so that counts for something! On Friday, Colleen, this guy from our program named Jonathan, and I all went to Donana National Park for a horseback riding tour. My friend Sophie had done it and highly recommended it to me (although with horses in the picture, I didn't need much convincing!). I'm not sure that we booked the same tour Sophie did though, because after the 2 hour long bus ride we got off only to find that after wandering around trying to find the campsite where we were supposed to meet that we were 30 kilometers from where we were supposed to be. Luckily the company we booked through had great customer service and after calling the corporate office, a very friendly british man called me back to tell me it was my "lucky day" and that a black audi would be coming to pick us up in 5 minutes. So even though we had to pay an extra 5 euros for the ride, we still got to do our tour! I think that's one thing I'm continually learning in Europe: if you're ever lost, don't panic because it will all work out in the end! Colleen and I always remind ourselves not to underestimate our ability to get lost, but luckily even though we've gotten lost more times than I care to remember, we've always managed to work it out. Good life lesson.

The tour itself was really great! It was 2 hours through Donana National Park and the sites were beautiful. Although the tour we booked didn't actually get to go on the beach, we got to see some spectacular views! Plus I got some much needed animal interaction with my horse Deseo. 


We came back home and got to watch UNC beat Maryland! Pretty good day all in all!

On Saturday I was very sore from the horseback riding, but luckily Colleen and I got the house to ourselves again this weekend! I don't think many other people ever get the house to ourselves, but their senoras are all older and without kids to entertain. Our family went to the beach for the weekend and we got to decide when and what to eat! Most of the food we made wasn't very exciting (warmed over potato casserole, boxed lasagna, etc). But on Saturday night, we went to town! After spending the day relaxing and reading, I went to the grocery store and picked up a few essentials: a bottle of wine, a bag of our favorite chips, and a few ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies in a cup (from a recipe I found on pintrest). So Colleen and I relaxed and watched the UNC-NC State game while sipping wine and munching on chips. Then afterwards we made scrambled eggs with hamburger meat mixed in (it was the closest thing to sausage we had) and some stir fried veggies. All in all it was pretty delicious. Plus it's just fun and really nice to get to cook for yourself every once in a while. After dinner we made our cookies in a cup, but realized we didn't have measuring cups. We ended up putting in too much flour I think, but it still hit the spot!

My groceries

Dinner!

Cookie in a cup (It tasted way better than it looks I promise!)
After our cooking session, we went out with some friends to watch a futbol game. All in all it was a great day!

The weather out today is perfect, and after having a nice lazy morning and watching The Help, I'm about to go for a nice long run! Then it's back to cheering on my Tar Heels tonight! 

This coming weekend I'm going to Morocco and couldn't be more excited! Then after that is Barcelona with my parents! Time truly is flying by here!

No comments:

Post a Comment