Friday, May 11, 2012

Less than a month left?

The original purpose for me writing this blog was to keep track of my thoughts, worries, expectations and reflections. I obviously realized the benefit it would have in being able to keep in touch with everyone, but I must admit my main motivations were far more selfish than that. I wanted to have something more than just pictures that I could look back at. Something to help me really remember these past few months. I'm not sure how successful I've been, but I've tried my best to really encapsulate my thoughts and feelings while I have been here. So, if you'll bear with me, I want to take a second to reflect on what has truly been the best 4 months of my life.

I've been looking forward to studying abroad ever since my dad told me I only could if I went to UGA. I thought I had given up this dream when I decided to go to UNC. Luckily for me though with a little research, my dad was quickly persuaded when he realized that studying in Sevilla for a semester was half the price of Chapel Hill. It's an experience I would not have traded for anything in the world. I've met so many people, been so many new places, gained so much knowledge and learned so many life lessons. I've learned to live with younger siblings in a household very different from the one I grew up in. I've adapted to a new culture and way of life. I've improved my spanish far more than I could have in a classroom at Chapel Hill. I can't tell you enough how lucky I feel to have had this opportunity. I'm so grateful to my parents for allowing me to come to Spain and to Pilar for opening up her home to us. 

I spent a few minutes earlier today reading over my earliest blog posts, and it really started to dawn on me how long I have been in Spain for. Thinking back to first meeting Colleen and our first few interactions with our family members feels like years ago. But at the same time this whole experience has flown by. With only 25 days left in Spain, I can't help but to think that soon I'll be saying goodbye to this beautiful country. In less than a month, I'll spend my last night sleeping a foot away from Colleen. My last night eating dinner with our family. My last morning waking up to Carmen screaming. And my last day walking around a city that looks like a postcard.

As soon as I start to think about how little time I have left, I try my best to push the thought out of my mind. It's sort of like that feeling of sadness you feel when you realize you only have a few more chapters left of a great book. For these last couple of weeks, I'm going to try my best to read as slowly as I can. To wake up early and truly appreciate this beautiful city I have come to call home. I know I'll come back and visit Europe again one day, but I know it won't be the same. Sure, I'll probably have more money and won't have to stay with 15 other people in one hostel room, but I know I'll never again be given 5 straight months of vacation to  live in Spain and travel around as I wish. But, for now, all I can do is enjoy the little time I have left, and that's exactly what I plan to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment