Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Weekend of Freedom

I'm not sure what it is about a weekend with no one home that gets Colleen and I so excited. Maybe it's because we've only had a handful of days since January of a house to ourselves. But most likely it's the fact that we don't have to wake up to Carmen screaming in the morning. Whatever it is, having an empty house from Saturday to Tuesday made for a fantastic weekend.

First things first we headed to the grocery store. Our list consisted of all the makings for perfect study food: guacamole and cookie dough. We also picked up instant coffee (which made for much more enjoyable breakfasts), spinach (a real salad for once), bread and cheese. As I might have mentioned our family doesn't eat cheese, so the first chance I saw at a grilled cheese, I jumped.

The weekend itself wasn't too crazy. In fact, I don't even think I have any pictures to post for it. Mostly we just slept in as late as we could (although in a house with no air conditioning and Sevilla's temperatures outside in the 90s, we couldn't really sleep in too much). We cooked and watched movies and lived like queens for three and a half days, but in the blink of an eye it was over. Pilar and Luis just got home from Pilar's 40th birthday trip to Prague. She really doesn't seem to be very excited about turning 40 and keeps repeating that she's 39...to which Carmen keeps correcting her. Speaking of the devil (quite literally), Carmen just ran in to our room to tell us that she, Luis and Maria all got presents from Prague, but we didn't. I don't think I've ever met a child with such sass!

This weekend we are off to Lagos, Portugal...a beach destination that is only a 5 hour bus ride away. I organized the trip, and all 12 of us will be staying in a guest house that Kevin had highly recommended when he visited. The only bad news is the whole weekend is showing a 60 percent chance of rain....lets just hope the weather channel isn't very accurate in Portugal. 

When I get back, I'll be in finals mode. Of course here it won't be as intense as finals week at UNC (since I only have to get a 5 out of 10 to pass the class). But I'll unfortunately have a final on my birthday and the day after...so I'll be celebrating my 20th birthday this weekend in Portugal. Can't beat that! I'll no longer be the age I've always wanted to be, but I figure if 19 has been so great, 20 can only be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment