Thursday, February 2, 2012

Una Casa Enferma

I wish I could say that this week has been filled with hilarious stories and wild nights, but sadly that is far from true. I don't think I ever fully recovered from the cold I had last week, and when I woke up on Monday my throat was killing me. After suffering through painful swallowing for a day, I bit the bullet and decided to go to the doctor and get some medications. One of the program leaders came with me to make sure I was able to communicate my symptoms accurately. It was without a doubt the weirdest doctor's visit I've ever had. The Medicur (which conveniently was only 5 minutes from my house) was not very crowded at all. I went up to the lady at the desk, gave her my passport and insurance card, and was told I'd go into the room across the hall after the lady with the pink scarf came out. Not even five minutes later I was sitting in front of the doctor telling him how my throat felt. He asked if I had a fever and I said I didn't think so. Weirdest part was he didn't even take my temperature. He just took my word for it, glanced at my tonsils, and prescribed me 3 different medications. Turns out the doctor visit itself was completely free and all my medications came out to be 10.50 euros. Pretty good, huh? And I filled for reimbursement for the medication so the whole thing will end up free! The meds have worked wonders on me and I feel MUCH better now. Although today Maria and Luis are both home sick from school and Carmen was out all last week (hence the title of this post).

While I was sick my computer also decided to contract some sort of virus. It wouldn't start and I had to figure out how to reboot the whole thing. Thank goodness I eventually figured out how to fix it though because I have no idea what I would have done if I couldn't have fixed it! But I feel a good deal smarter for being able to fix it on my own!

Other than being sick, I've really just been hanging around little parts of Sevilla. Nothing terribly exciting but all very cute! I've been slacking on taking pictures but I'm going to try and make up for that this weekend! Colleen and I did do some bonding with our mom last night. She told us she's actually had tons of students before us which surprised us because they treat us like we're their first (in the best possible way!) She could not believe this story we told her about another girl in our program's senora. Apparently this senora does not own a washing machine so instead washes her clothes and the girls clothes in the bidet! After laughing about that for a while, she also said before she had Carmen she owned a clothing store close by but she closed it to become a stay at home mom. It's crazy the random things we learn about our family on a day to day basis.

Only other news is that a group of us booked flights to Dublin and then to Amsterdam for the first week in April! Our mom is SO excited we're going to Ireland because she studied there from age 13 to 17 (and even met Luis there too). We're not sure where we're going after Amsterdam but we're considering different parts of Germany or maybe even Paris. RyanAir is supposed to change their flight specials tomorrow so we're just going to see where is the cheapest and go from there! I can't wait to start traveling! This weekend a group of us are just going to do some exploring around Sevilla and then next weekend we all go to Granada! Then after that is Carnaval in Cadiz and then Italy! I could not be more excited!

Well I have to go sign in to this online orientation for UNC's business school. Should be loads of fun. Talk to you guys soon!

1 comment:

  1. Very glad that both your computer and you are now doing well.

    ReplyDelete